Waiuku Forest (Cancelled)
Time & Location
About the Event
Auckland Club Members - Please login before registering.
Waiuku Forest is a sand dune pine plantation forest on the northern mouth of the Waikato River administered by Crown Forestry who generously grant us access.
The conditions in the forest include easy tracks with firm gravel, dirt and soft sandy tracks with small sections of slippery clay in the winter. There are some more challenging options for the more adventurous, but they can all be easily bypassed.
Some bush does overhang the tracks so some light scuffing is possible! The trees within the forest are spaced wide enough apart to allow vehicles to explore off the main tracks which we will be doing, so good driving skills will be required to manoeuvre amongst the trees to avoid damage. There will also be a few steeper downhill sections, which are easy but still a good challenge for the newer members to 4WDing.
This trip is open to Auckland 4WD Club members, and registered visitors, however preference will be given to current club members if we reach the maximum allowed.
This is a Grade 2 trip. See our trip grading guidelines.
Also see our Trip Rules.
Here's a video and some links to photos to get you excited about the trip.
There is a $20 trip fee. We are fundraising for St Johns, Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust and the Northern Emergency Services Trust (Note: visitors must also pay a $10 day membership fee).
- Respect what others determine to be safe distancing practices for themselves.
- The names of all passengers in your vehicle will be recorded on the day, for contact tracing purposes.
- If you are sick, stay at home.
Trip rules & vehicle requirements
Please make sure you have read and understand all the club trip rules and vehicle requirements before registering for this trip.
Further notes on requirements:
- A UHF radio (also known as PRS) is required for this trip, either a hand-held or in-car unit.
- At-least all-terrain tyres are required.
- A rated recovery point fitted to at-least one end of the vehicle is sufficient for Waiuku Forest trips (preferably both ends, front and rear).
- A 2kg fire extinguisher is required in every vehicle (two 1kg fire extinguishers is an acceptable alternative but not recommended).
- Children (under 16) must wear Hi-Vis. It is your responsibility to make sure the children in your vehicle have and wear Hi-Vis.
Your vehicle will be checked, when you arrive to make sure you meet the requirements.
A note on tow balls
A rated recovery point is required as the standard tow points on most standard 4WDs are not strong enough to take the loadings from a snatch recovery. The vehicle owner will be responsible for any damage to their own vehicle as well as damage caused to a recovery vehicle. If you do not have a rated rear recovery hook but do have a tow bar, we recommend the tow ball is removed before the trip. A tow ball is not strong enough, and not designed, for the shock loads generated during a snatch recovery. Using a tow ball as a recovery point poses a very high risk to bystanders and should never be done! Removing the tow ball and fitting a shackle through the tow ball bolt hole, can be a suitable alternative to a rated tow hook on the rear of your vehicle.
Please seek advice on the recovery points on your vehicle before the trip if you are unsure.
Still have questions?
If you have read all the trip info, trip rules, trip grading information, but have more questions, contact:
0274 959 480